About Schismata Studio
Schismata Studio is a microtonal music composition program. Sounds and tuning systems are designed with the program and saved with the program. The sounds and tuning systems can be shared with other users. Audio can also be recorded from various sources such as microphones, files or from the composition itself.
Some of the features that set Schismata Studio apart from other music programs are;
- Notes can have unlimited internal points allowing the note to slide from one pitch to another independently from other notes.
- There is an included Sound Library (Standard Sound Library) with hundreds of sounds. These can easily be modified. They can be used as a starting point for the user to develop their own sounds. Sounds can be saved to a Project Sound Library or transferred to and from a User Sound Library for use in other projects or sharing with other composers. Each sound is defined by a simple script.
- The key signature can be selected from the Key Signature Pop-up and the notes of that key indicated on the guide bar in any equal tempered tuning system (up to 100 tones).
- The build in Sound Designer allows virtually unlimited ability to create new sounds from a wide range of processors. There are processors for shaping the note (e.g. decay), processors for generating a signal (e.g. Sine, Sawtooth), processors that simulate electronic filters (e.g. Low Pass Filter, Band Pass Filter), DSP processors (e.g. comb filters) and many more. The design process is aided by the Play Pad, which allows testing of the sound at any pitch or volume. As the note is played a live visual chart of the waveform is displayed. Having designed a new sound the user can transfer the sound to a sharable library.
- User variables can be connected to the sound design so that the sound can be manipulated from the attributes and channels charts beneath the composition window.
- In the Audio Files section audio can be recorded from various sources such as microphone, mp3/wav/wma files or even directly from the Play Pad in the Sound Designer. Audio files can be played as notes using the Audio processors in the Sound Designer.
- The sound definitions are saved with the composition so when the composition file is shared the sound will be identical on any computer.
- When you open Schismata Studio it is set to Just Intonation. There are quick select tuning systems (e,g, 19, 22 and 53 tone equal temperament that can be used without opening the Tuning System Designer.
- The Tuning System Designer allows virtually any tuning system to be designed. ‘Scala’ files can be imported and exported. Equal tempered, just intonation, arithmetically tempered or freely created tuning systems are immediately updated in the composition as they are created and modified. The tuning system is saved with the composition.
- Whilst Schismata Studio is not midi based, midi files can be imported and exported. An imported midi file can be retuned to an alternative tuning system (Just Intonation for example).
The final composition can be recorded to wav, wma or mp3.
The help window gives information about the object the mouse pointer is currently above.
Microtonal tuning systems
Built in Sound Designer
Multi-point copyable notes
Built in sample compositions
Midi import and export
Audio file (.dat) editing
Sound editing on the fly